The ‘reality slap’ takes many different forms. Sometimes it is so violent it’s more like a punch: the death of a loved one, a serious illness, a major injury, a freak accident, a shocking crime, a disabled child, the loss of a job; bankruptcy, betrayal, fire, flood, divorce or disaster. Sometimes it’s a little gentler: envy, loneliness, resentment, failure, disappointment or rejection. But whatever form it takes, one thing’s for sure: it hurts! And most of us don’t deal with the pain very well.
This book is based on a scientifically proven mindfulness-based approach called ‘Acceptance and Commitment Therapy’ (ACT). Within these pages, you will learn how to cope effectively when life hurts: not just how to survive, but how to thrive. Using the proven principles of ACT, you’ll discover how to:
• find peace in the midst of your pain
• find calm in the midst of your chaos
• anchor yourself in the midst of emotional storms
• increase your sense of connection with yourself and others
• use your painful emotions to cultivate wisdom and compassion
• find fulfilment even when you can’t get what you want
• heal your wounds, and come through stronger than before.
Dr Russ Harris is a medical practitioner, psychotherapist, and bestselling author of ‘The Happiness Trap’, which has now been translated into 22 languages. He is one of the world’s leading authorities in ACT, and regularly travels all over Australia and internationally to train a wide variety of professionals in the approach. His other books include ‘The Confidence Gap’, ‘ACT With Love’, ‘ACT Made Simple’, and the fictional novel ‘Stand Up Strummer’.