Expert crossword solver and setter, Tim Moorey, seeks to dispel the myth that cryptic crosswords are the preserve of the elite. In this new, easy guide, he demonstrates that anyone who enjoys words and word play can learn to solve a cryptic crossword clue.
With clear pictorially presented explanations for many clues, you too can revel in the deep satisfaction that comes from finishing cryptic crossword puzzles.
Designed to apply to the solving of any cryptic crossword, this book develops and expands Tim’s first book, How to Master The Times Crossword, and is designed to guide the cryptic crossword beginner to an enriched solving experience.
• Contains 15 new practice puzzles from 15 different newspaper and magazine sources.
• Many new hints and tips to help every solver
• Greatly expanded lists e.g. of those all-important abbreviations you should know
• A completely new demonstration of how one solver tackles a typical daily cryptic
• Up-to-date sections on the latest help available online eg smartphone and tablet apps
• In-depth and clear explanations of every clue and puzzle answer
• Previously published as ‘HOW TO MASTER THE TIMES CROSSWORD: The Times Cryptic Crossword Demystified’
“The best ‘how to solve’ book available” Richard Browne, Times Crossword Editor
About the author
Tim Moorey has been solving Times crosswords for over 50 years, having begun in his early teens. His setting career started at an equally early age, when he submitted puzzles to the London Evening News, who offered two guineas for each successful puzzle. His business career, as a financial controller and director of several BP subsidiary companies, allowed little time for more setting until 1991 when Tim started a second career at the Civil Service College and joined The Sunday Times team. He now sets crosswords as Mephisto and Owzat in various newspapers and magazines. In addition, having won the monthly Observer Azed contest many times, he was the joint winner in the annual competition for 2004/5. Tim also runs crossword workshops for beginners and, as the Cluru (the Clue Guru), provides help for puzzled puzzlers for the Crossword Club.